To take the security question seriously is the demand of the times. Not only commercial buildings, but our homes too need security. CCTV is one of the most cost effective and popular methods for the security of home and offices. CCTV camera – Closed Circuit Television Systems, is mostly used as an instrument to combat any type of criminal activity or any unapproved social behavior. It acts as deterrence as well as evidence.
Even if you have security guards to provide security and protection to you, then also the use of CCTV is desirable. The installation of CCTV enhances the security very easily. The technological advancements are not only helping security agencies but criminals too. The criminals are using the latest of technologies to barge in a home for theft and robberies. CCTV is an effective tool to keep an eye on these criminal activities.
CCTV can also be used to monitor workers and maid. With advanced CCTV system you can keep a vigil on the maids that take care of your house or any family member, even from your office. You can yourself keep an eye on the kids or elderly ill people at home, by the use of CCTV systems. You just need to connect your CCTV systems with the internet for live streaming of the happenings in and around the home or office. Many a company, keep an eye on the working of their employees with the help of the CCTV footage.
So CCTV is not just a security option, but a vigilance tool also.
Although, for different persons, it serves different purposes, but the major reasons for its use are as such:
- It prevents crime by controlling theft, arson or vandalism.
- It prevents theft by any employee.
- It serves as an evidence of proof for any theft, robbery, murder etc.
- It provides access control to car parking, entry points etc.
- It monitors safety in public and high-risk areas.
- It helps law enforcement agencies to solve crime cases.
- It helps to keep a vigil on elderly ill folks or children.
- It protects staff from any physical violence or false accusation by the customer.
- It encourages good behavior by creating discipline.
- It increases the customer’s confidence as well.
- Verification of any incident.
- Monitoring of roadway condition.
- Event management.
- Monitoring of weather conditions.
- Dynamic message verification.
A CCTV system is comprised of three major components: Cameras, a recording device and monitor. All three of them perform separate functions. Still images or videos that are captured by any camera are recorded with a digital video recorder, which are then viewed on monitor. Now, when the link between the three components is clear to us, let us go deep in the features of all of these three components:
- Camera:There are various kinds of best CCTV cameras which serves different purposes. Which type of surveillance camera is needed, depends on various points. The major points of focus are:
- a) Placement of the camera:Where do you want to place the camera -above a particular height or on the ground, outside a building or inside? How do you want to place the camera – hidden or public view? These questions need a thought before deciding the type of security camera for home or office needed.
- b) Range of the area to be covered:Depending on the range of area to be covered one has to decide the resolution of camera needed.
A PTZ camera is in vogue these days. This camera can pan, tilt or even zoom.
- Recorders:They are of two CCTV camera types:DVRs (Digital Video Recorder) and NVR (Network Video Recorder). The difference between the two lies in their network connection ability. While NVRs are connected to a whole networks, DVRs are just connected with a single computer. It is easier to authorize the viewing of images and videos on internet to some specific person with the use of NVRs.
- Monitor:The screen on which the security personnel see the recorded images or videos is called the monitor. These are again of various kinds, like LCD, LED and TFT monitors. One may need to install more than one monitor, if one wants to monitor the feedback from more than one camera.
One thing is just clear, the selection of the components of any surveillance camera depends on the purpose it is supposed to serve.
These days the public safety measurements are home security cameras system that become an essential part to combat criminal activities. CCTV known as closed-circuit television is a system that is primarily used for surveillance and security purposes. The cameras are placed to observe the environment and the signals are transmitted point to point directly to monitors. This kind of surveillance camera is mainly used at critical areas such as airports, banks, military installations, and many more with growing concern to safety measures. For the wireless CCTV camera installation, following major steps are to be followed.
Step 1: Analyze the product kit
CCTV DVR Kit: Open the product kit and check all the contents of camera including manual. Mainly the product kit contains two analog cameras, cables to connect to power source and DVR also. Place all the contents together and move to next step.
Step 2: Connect power cable to DVR, mouse and monitor
Next step is to connect the power cable to the other contents like DVR, monitor etc. Connect one side of power cable to DC-12 V interface and other to the power source. After this the signal light to Ethernet will turned to blink.
Next is, simply plug the mouse to USB interface.
Next is to connect the monitor either to VGA interface or HDMI interface. The VGA connector has 15 pin DE connector to connect computer monitors, high definition television etc.
Step 3: Connect the CCTV to DVR and power cable
The video input and output interface connects with BNC interface and the coaxial cable connects with the BNC connector.
Step 4: Camera Testing
Now comes to the testing phase, mount your camera to wall to complete the surveillance solution. First of all tightening the screws of camera and adjust the viewing angle. To test the camera leave it connected for at least 24 hours to test the picture quality in the day or night vision.
Step 5: DVR Testing
The DVR software is installed within couple of minutes and after installation takes a tour review with some simple questions like.
- Is the network setup program easy to navigate?
- How do setup the remote access?
- Data Protection ACT and Public Access Space:
To use the CCTV systems outside the contractors, the customer needs to register or get a license under data protection Act. This is required because; the equipment monitors the activities of a person in a public or private place or to identify the person.
- Closed environment:
The environment may affect the use of CCTV, as if CCTV is installed to monitor the public area, than u need some type of fencing so that camera can be monitored effectively. If the area is belonging to the expensive goods than to protect these areas, CCTV is the best option as well as u could consider the other warning systems such as electronic perimeter detection system and many more.
- What happen when CCTV camera system activates:
During activation the monitor switches to particular camera and start recording. It shows the 2 still images as well as live recording.
- Out of hours Coverage:
A professional company is hired to monitor the activities up to 24 hours and 7 days, due to this they will never waste the time with false alarms as well as take corrective actions upon noticing suspicious activities.
- CCTV camera system for empty properties:
To monitor the remote or empty areas detection based cameras are used. If someone try to gain access to building, the action is detected and activates the response with power, GSM,GPRS and broadband line.
- Advantages of CCTV:
Several advantages of wireless CCTV camera systems are as follows:
- CCTV can be used as marketing tool.
- Providing protection for staff working in lone areas.
- Provide footage of various health and safety incidents.
- Perimeter security:
Use of solid fencing is common and integral part of security of site. Good housekeeping is important to create an impression of well maintained security of site.
- Other alternatives:
There is number of alternatives such as physical presence of security officer, a dog, random mobile patrols as well as intruder alarm or red care system.
- What CCTV won’t give you?
Surveillance camera won’t give you conviction, but if the system is monitored, it will respond in event of activation. CCTV will not lock down of the site of its own.
- Price of CCTV?
The cost of CCTV system will depend upon number of factors such as size of site, number of cameras, lighting, and maintenance of system and so on.
- When researching CCTV suppliers – ask for referees?
At the time of purchase, make sure that you get the warranty certificate. The main activities of maintenance are to refocus the security camera for home, re-configuration of system and many more.
- What Areas do you want CCTV camera covers?
Firstly, the camera needs to be covering the front of person as well as cover all the corridors and exits of area. Also place the camera at that position of ceiling or wall where it covers the whole area.
- How long the recorded videos are kept before it is deleted?
The system provides the capability to store the reordered videos up to 4 weeks, after that you can get the backup of data and write it to disks off site.
- How users friendly will the system need to be?
The CCTV system needs to be as simple as possible. But keep in mind one thing that you will give access of system to everyone or not.
- Why you need to access the system remotely?
The remote access of system is of two types as onsite connection and offsite connection. In onsite connection your system will continuously connected to the local area network. On the other hand another access is from offsite such as from home or overseas.
Though, there are endless CCTV camera types available in the market now-a-day, but there are 8 comprehensive CCTV systems about which we must know:
- High-definition HD:
As the name suggests, they are ultra-high definition cameras. Its USP is ability to zoom with utmost clarity. Such cameras are often relegated to niche markets which are mostly used in casinos, banks etc. Previously,these cameras were tube based analog cameras,however today’s computerized innovation has dislodged those older units.
These cameras compress the bandwidth and transmit images over the internet. They are present in both the forms: wireless as well as hardwired. Installation is easier in IP cameras as they don’t require a different cable run or power support to send pictures over longer distance.
- Wireless CCTV Camera:
They are wireless cameras which are not IP based. The primary advantage of wireless cameras is, it is extremely flexible in installation. It also comprises of remote transmitter & receiver antennas that allows closed circuit cameras to transmit a remote signal using a 5.8 Ghz signal up to 4 miles. Such systems are utilized where cable dredging is not practical or is cost restrictive.
These cameras use Infrared Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) to see images even in the pitch black conditions. Such cameras have the capability to capture videos in complete darkness & better quality videos in low light. Hence are best to use in the areas where the lighting ranges from poor to zero.
The main advantage of C-mount camera is, it has detachable lenses which can be made to fit different applications. While general CCTV systems cover 35 to 40 ft. of distances, this camera can cover a range of more than 40ft. The lenses of C-mount cameras is available from 4mm to 50mm. Special lenses used in this camera endows it with this ability.
These are largely meant for indoor security and surveillance. They are used in the settings where cameras are required to be inconspicuous, but not hidden. The dome shape of the cameras makes it difficult to judge the direction where the camera is facing. This camera can even be moved, panned, tilt or zoomed. Pricing for such camera is around Rs 8000 or more based on the resolution.
The unique aspect of this camera is that it can operate in both normal and dim-light environments. As they do not have infrared illuminators, they are ideal to be used for outdoor surveillance camera where Infrared cameras fail to operate optimally. Such cameras are generally used by military personals , in high security zones and parking lots.
It is named ‘bullet’ because its shape resembles that of a rifle bullet. It is cylindrically long and tapered. If there is any requirement of long distance viewing, this camera is ideal. This camera is not endowed with the capability of panning, tilting or zooming; instead it captures images from a fixed point, which hints at a particular area. It can be mounted on any wall or ceiling.
It’s better to install all of these cameras in a protective casing, to protect them from any damage whatsoever.
Use of CCTV system as a single entity or as a part of an integrated security camera system, can serve a number of purposes, be it for the detection, evidence, deterrence, access control or any other use. Wireless CCTV cameras are just a step to ensure public security and safety. Although the use of home security cameras for private surveillance with malaise/bad intentions is widely debated and needs to be addressed quickly, the public interest makes its use more legitimate.
CCTV cameras also include infrared Light Emitting diodes that provide brighter image in the dark. These lighting systems are much better than the traditional lighting.
- The LED’S used in CCTV are low energy consumption lights. They are not prone to Bulb failure as well as don’t carry hidden energy costs.
- LED’S provides better targeting as well as superior quality illumination that actually the camera needs, typically upto10-180 degree angles.
- The best LED product has life up to 10 years with warranty.
- These are suitable for challenging environment such as weather hardened, hot and cold climate etc.
- It provides flexibility of installation, explosion protection and maintenance.
There are two types of CCTV surveillance systems are introduced in the market, Such as Analog Technology-Closed Circuit TV and Digital Technology-Closed Circuit TV
Analog Technology CCTV
Digital Technology CCTV
|This system doesn’t broadcast the live video information.||This system broadcasts video images as digitized signal over local area network.|
|It provides low and unusable picture quality up to 2 mega pixel.||The picture quality is good up to 5 mega pixels.|
|Through Analog technology, the signals are converted into format that can be viewed by television or monitor.||Through digital cameras, the captured images can be accessed by web browser through internet.|
|CCTV camera price is cheaper.||CCTV camera price are slightly high.|
|It contains DVR , that is single unit with single cost of CCTV camera for home/office.||It contains NVR, which is software licensed on per camera basis.|
|Analog camera can use either coaxial cable or CAT 3 cable.||Digital camera ca use CAT 5 cable for data transmission.|
|It involves centralized power source for cameras.||It uses power over Ethernet (PoE).|
The security is the crucial aspect in urban, rural and many business locations where 24 hours monitoring and examining is important. For this electronic security equipments are adopted that are connected to the wired system to send alerts to police and other emergency services. The security equipment consist of cameras, monitors, storage devices as well as software. Thus, the cost of CCTV camera system is decided according to these devices.
Approximate cost analysis of equipment system is as follows:
- Wireless CCTV cameras at least 4 in quantity.
- DVR (digital video recorder) to store video data in digital form.
- NAS (network attached storage) with up to 1Tb memory.
- HARD DISK to store data at least 250 Gb.
- BNC connectors, adaptors, cables.
- USB receiver.
- LCD Monitor.
- Software installed on computer.
The estimated cost to setup the security camera system is dependent upon the size of area, recommended for security.
- For small sized organization: Rs. 50000
- For medium sized organization: Rs 70000
- For large sized organization: Rs 100000
The CCTV security systems are considered as the important factor to secure the corporate offices, home, property and many more usage. There are various important facts about this system that cannot be neglected for the sake of security.
- The CCTV camera for home or office are professional security camera systems that are installed for the high security purpose. A single camera connected through coax cable to monitor to visualize the live footage of area.
- The most interesting fact is Singapore airport has adopted the largest CCTV equipment system with up to 3000 CCTV surveillance cameras.
- Another pivotal aspect is that these systems are composed with more advanced and user friendly features such as night vision, zoom to infrared tech and many more.
- The CCTV surveillance system built up with motion detection technology as it captures the activity of person up to 20 meters long as well as with video recorder logged in.
- Another interesting fact is that home security cameras are installed to keep eye on various things such that parks, traffic, public places, organizations wildlife research work and especially on that locations where human will not fit.
- CCTV systems are conducted to be the best and powerful security systems as they are adopted for the various military operations. They are durable, long lasting and cctv surveillance camera price in India effective that’s why they can be afforded wireless home security cameras and office security cameras too. They can also be used to monitor the crime activities.
- It is believed that with the use of CCTV surveillance system 67% of burglary incidents will get reduced.